Morris Dovey

Glenna Rose wrote:

To make the saw guide to cut panels, I had originally planned
to use 1xsomething for the guide for the edge of saw (with the
pressed hardboard/masonite) flat to the panels with the edge
at the cutting line.

Is one-inch stock necessary, or can I use another piece of the
1/4" hardboard? (1/4" hardboard on 1/4" hardboard for a 1/2"
thick, in theory, for the edge of the saw guide to travel
along)

My apologies if that is worded badly, but am hoping you folks
know what I mean.

The question comes up because, while my old Craftsman circular
saw body would easily clear the one-inch, the new one doesn't
have as much clearance between the body and the guide. I'm
definitely glad I checked it *before* I built the guide;
building it once works much better than re-building.

Glenna...

I'd like to offer another perspective. The distance from the left
edge of the saw's sole plate will vary slightly from blade to
blade (even on the same saw), so I use a straightedge guide the
saw; and I use an offset "block" - cut with the same blade I'm
using on the saw - to offset the guide from the cut line.

You can see this method in use about mid-page at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/outfeed.html. The advantage to this
approach has been that I can switch blades whenever it's
convenient without worrying about variation in blades. It's been
a lot less hassle.

After using this approach for a number of years I finally broke
down and bought an aluminum straightedge with clamps that can be
adjusted along a track on the underside - which means that
there's nothing to obstruct the saw motor on the topside. I've
been really pleased with this setup.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar