Prometheus

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:50:54 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

I make furniture and now I only use exterior glue. Where structural
strength is required I use mechanical devices, dowels or biscuits with
Gorilla glue or epoxy.
I agreed with leaving the pressure on for a minimum of 24 hours in ambient
temperature. For routine work I have had success with leaving the clamps on
for only 2-4 hours when the temperature is dry and above 70F/20C
Again this is subject to the type of wood and its oil, sap and humidity
content.
If the lumber come from Home Depot (or similar sources) where it was
probably kiln dried and store either outside or into unheated warehouse the
situation is different.

No Home Depot here! The only place worth going to in my area is a
hardwood supplier that kiln dries and then stores the lumber in racks
indoors. Unfortunately, they don't have much thick stock- the thickest
I've found there is 9/4 cherry and basswood.

The best success I had was with air dried lumber. After the wood is dried
Its stored indoor at ambient temperature. Then when Its need it, the wood
is rough cut, glued and finished as required. Still at that I have about
1/16 - 3/16" expansion taking place every summer when its very humid and
winter when the indoor heat is dry.

I'll be moving into my new house soon (hopefully!), so I'll have space
to start air-drying my own, but for the time being I'm stuck with what
I can buy and use right away.

Thanks to all who responded!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam