Colbyt

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am also thinking that part of the problem is the big hole around the
copper pipe that goes through the fiberglass tub, and so I'm thinking
that there might be some standard way to seal that hole so that water
cannot flow thru it if the seal around the spout fails, but I'm still
not sure what to use to seal the hole (gaps): about a 1" gap around the
pipe. I've never used plumber's putty. Does anyone know what the
typical way is to eliminate these prefabricated gaps in fiberglass
tub/shower units?

There is no pre-drilled spout hole in a new tub. The installer drills the
hole. I usually drill a 3/4" hole for a 5/8" pipe. A bit of silicone seals
the rest.

But I have never had a problem with a spout not seating properly. Any gap
is usually at the bottom where it should be. Bet the butt hole ran straight
copper with no threaded connection between the faucet and the spout except
for the stub out. It should have a secured shower flange securely mounted
to a board inside the wall. The darn thing may twist off in your hands when
you try to replace it which someone will have to do someday.

BTW the is no limit on warranty in most states where a trades person does
something they know is improper.

Good luck.

Colbyt