Bill Rubenstein

At the risk of again incurring the wrath of Johathon...

I've just invented a new automobile. When you turn the wheel to the left, the car turns
right. When you turn the wheel to the right, the car turns left.

When you step on the pedal on the left with your right foot, the car accelerates. The pedal
on the right makes it stop.

The turn signal is also a little unusual. When you push it away from you it starts the right
blinker and toward you the left blinker.

Etc....

Clearly, everything you need to drive a car works. But, would you buy it?

While the above is extreme, some may remember cars with the starter button under the gas
pedal. Others had a switch on the dash which you either pushed or pulled. Today I can't
think of any exceptions -- you turn the key. The industry has learned that sameness is a
virtue and renting a car is not quite the adventure it used to be.

Windows is, for many of us who are in or have been in software development, a pile of ill-
considered, poorly implemented trash. But, the one good thing about windows is that there
have been a number of standards designed and almost forced on programmers so that all
applications have a very similar look and feel. The menus, mouse movements and clicks all do
pretty much the same thing from application to application. When one wants to print just
about anything on a windows machine, regardless of who wrote the application, the method is
the same. To copy or paste text, the method is the same. The sameness is not a negative --
it is good and makes running a well designed, windows application intuitive. One doesn't
need to relearn all kinds of things when using an unfamiliar application.

I hope, though, that the above will not be considered to be a criticism of Jonathon's site --
just a commentary on the world in general and how people prefer familiar things.

Bill

In article .com,
says...
Barry

The site has been this way for a while now - and to change the scroll
bars would likely throw those are already used to it - cumbersome, I
would disagree, counter-intuitive yes that is fair.

Jonathon

PS Derek's comment (see below) is constructive. Others are not but
seem to reflect USENET manners - and people seem to be surprised to get
a reply in like vein. Now why, I wonder, would this be? And why would
they not expect likely phrased replies?