Charles Bishop

In article . com, "Jack"
wrote:

If this is a new home; why is this your problem to solve? Let the

builder
take care of it.

It was a second bathtub/shower that we didn't use until after our 1
year warranty period. Honestly, I would scared to let this builder
back into my home to sweep a floor, let alone fix something they did
poorly to begin with.

That said and assuming you still need help; here is an off the cuff
solution. Spray some minimally expanding foam into the hollow spout

through
the 1/4" gap, allow it to dry, trim off the excess and then caulk the

darn
thing. No I have never done this or seen it done but it might work.

I was thinking about that.

I am also thinking that part of the problem is the big hole around the
copper pipe that goes through the fiberglass tub, and so I'm thinking
that there might be some standard way to seal that hole so that water
cannot flow thru it if the seal around the spout fails, but I'm still
not sure what to use to seal the hole (gaps): about a 1" gap around the
pipe. I've never used plumber's putty. Does anyone know what the
typical way is to eliminate these prefabricated gaps in fiberglass
tub/shower units?

If possible get a flange that fits over the 1/2" copper pipe, probably
with a 3/4" or 1" hole for the fitting, and glue this in place on the tub.
The outside diameter will have to be smaller than the inside diameter of
your spout though, or you can make the flange part of the "design" if it's
chromed.

Cut off part of the copper pipe and add another piece to make it 1/4 to
3/8" longer. Then the tub spout will fit correctly. This would be best
since you don't want water getting behind the tub. This isn't that hard
since you won't be working on copper pipe that normally has water under
pressure in it.

Find anotheer spout that will seal to the tub with the 1/4" difference.
Not as easy, but different spouts can have different setbacks.

charles