Tony, this is my first post on this subject, put it is hard not to jump in
when you respond so negatively to a post you clearly didn't thoroughly
read. Matt was comparing "split phase" and "two" phase with 180 degree
phase separation in which he correctly states that the two phases are 180-
degrees apart. His statement about them being identical is also entirely
correct.

I believe he does demonstrate he knows the difference between single and
three phase.

Now, of course, three phase power can be either wye or delta connected and
there is a difference between these two kinds of three phase power. I'm
sure you can explain the difference to us in simple terms and which kind is
used for general power distribution and why. When is the other kind used?

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:39:46 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Tony Miklos wrote:

Sorry antagonist. That is incorrect. The "phases" as you describe,
are still in sync with each other. Their voltage potential from
neutral/center tap is indeed *opposite*, but still "in phase".

But using this definition of "in phase", all power systems are "in
phase" as the respective phase angles are constant between all phases.
It doesn't matter if the phase separation is 90, 120 or 180 (as in split
phase). The reality is that you can't distinquish "split" phase from
"two" phase with 180 degree phase separation, as they are identical. It
doesn't matter if the two phases are created directly from a rotating
machine or from a center tapped transformer.

If you looked at, and understood the waveforms on an oscilloscope
comparing single (split or not) phase to 3 phase, I would like to
believe that it is impossible to mistake a single split phase for three
phase. Of course I do not know if you have ever *looked* at the two on
a scope? That could be the problem understanding the difference.