Jay Pique

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:49:56 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dwight wrote:

Could some people explain why they prefer either hollow grinding before
honing, or relying entirely on flat abrasives.

I don't have a problem with hollow grinding per se, but I hate my bench
grinder for so many, many reasons. It's just not a good way to sharpen
anything, even with fancy high dollar wheels on it.

Flat grinding is slow and tedious, but it delivers excellent results. I
think if I were going to step up to a powered system, I'd go with something
like the Veritas power sharpener deal and keep flat grinding. Wheels just
seem like such a PITA overall, even if I had a slow grinder and a good tool
rest.

I think they both have their place. For shaping and reshaping the
initial bevel, a wheel seems best. A large grit and slow speed wheel
can make quick work of an otherwise (somewhat) time consuming task.

After the inital hollow grind though, I gotta figure that an efficient
workstation with a good set of well-maintained stones is the best and
quickest way to go.

I envision a full set of Shapton Stones all in a row, covered by a
tilt- up glass dust exclosure, just waiting for a spritz of water and
a skilled hand to put the appropriate edge to the appropriate tool....

Someday.

JP
In search of a rabbi.