Bob S.

So if I use a MG unit running on the single phase coming into my

house
to create polyphase power you are saying it is still really single

phase
since that is what it came into my house as? Polyphase can be

created
from single phase and vice versa. This has been done for years in

both
power systems and electronic systems.

Yes, the convention in the power industry is to call two-phase only

that
which has two sinusoids separated by a phase angle of 90 degrees,
however, that is a definition used only by the power industry. Any

time
two phases are present, it can rightfully be called "two phase" no
matter what the phase angle separation may be. Again, the power
industry refers to three phase only when the separation angle is 120
degrees (which gives no current in the neutral with a balanced load -

which has some advantages), however, the broader definition covers

any
system with three distinct phases.

Matt

Ok, I followed the whole argument up to "polyphase". Care to explain
that to a semi-novice?

On a related topic: In rural Canada there are thousands of homes fed by
a single transmission line. No neutral/ground. This line goes into a
transformer which then feeds the home & outbuildings. What's happening
here? I assume the transformer is supplying 110/220 single phase, but
if Canada can do it with one wire, why does the USA do it with two?
Does that factor into the one phase/two phase argument?

Bob S.