Wild Bill

For vintage electronic and military gear, try Fair Radio in Lima OH

Typically, a manufacturer will put their name and/or a part number (or
connector series number) on their connectors. Have a look at the inside
surfaces of the mating connector to see if there's any info on it.

WB

"Ignoramus25901" wrote in message
I own a few Harris AM-7223 amplifiers (military surplus). I want to
sell them, maybe will keep one. They are all supposed to be in a
working condition. They will sell much better if they have power
cords. They require special power cables, with a round plug. The power
cord receptable on the unit is round and has a few pins sticking
out. I am looking for the most practical way of making a jury-rigged
power cable for this unit at low cost. I already know which pin is
ground, which is neutral, and which is hot. The question is, what is
the most practical way of connecting a power cable.

I found this on some website: ``J-1 is the power jack. Pin P is
Ground. Pin J is Hot. Pin A is Common. If you look on the inside of
the jack you will see the Green, Black and White wires going to these
pins J .''

I have a few options:

1. Open the unit and put in a power cable with ring terminals through
a ventilation in the unit and connect ring terminals to the proper
inside terminals. That will make a perfectly well working, although
not very sightly, unit.

1a. Remove the round cord receptacle and put in a wooden plug with a
hole in the center, and the power cord would go through it (instead of
through ventilation holes).

2. Solder a power cable to the connector pins. Also unsightly and also
rather decent.

3. Custom make a real plug. I would not mind doing it, all it requires
is a piece of insulating material of necessary diameter (would wood
work?), a template, and a drill press (which I have). Then I somehow
need to insert little tubes to go over the pins, seems like a lot of
hassle.

I am tempted to go with option number 1 or 1a for simplicity and
reliability, but want to get some opinions.

thanks!