Pop

Matt Whiting wrote:
JTMcC wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"Tekkie" wrote in message
t...

Lil' Dave posted for all of us....

had to have permanent meter loop installed vice a
temporary.
This provides
power to the water well pump (30 amp breaker two phase),
and a
120V

GCFI

outlet (20 amp one phase) for the home contractor subs.

There is no two phase power. Single or three phase.

There is such a thing as two phase, but it's pretty
uncommon
these days. I
believe it's still in use a few places back east. It used
to be
more

common,

in the early days of electrification.

There's a little 2-Phase left around Philly. Richmond,
Hunting
Park and Northeast Philly, that I know of. And there might
be some
left in Atlantic City. I have a 2 Phase motor out of an old
machine. It's cool.

And I, think, around Niagra Falls.

Yes, and going back to the OP, even thought it isn't common
usage,
the two 110V legs off a center tapped transformer really do
constitute a two-phase system. If these two legs weren't 180
out of
phase, you'd not be able to get both 110 and 220.

However, having said that, you will get funny looks if you
talk about
having two-phase power in your house, even though is
essentially what
you have.

Matt

A very minor point, I agree, and I also call it 2 phase, but it's
not. When you get on a board like this, there are people from
boths sides of the breaker panel, and thus the arguements come
about when someone who's actually worked with 1 2 or 3 (or even
more) phases, it sometimes throws them for a loop. Then there
are also the kind who just have to pop in and explain how wrong
everyone is, and how only they know the proper answer, but never
back up anything they say so they can get a good drifting of the
thread. I hope I'm not either, but, just having had a
conversation with my electricla inspector over some work I had
done and having my mind in that gutter, I mean, area, here's my
take on it:

Actually, it's not two phase by definition. It's "split phase",
derived from a single phase. The two "phases" of the same single
phase are simply applied to the wiring so that the sine wave in
each leg is 180 degrees out of phase with the other. If it comes
in as single phase, it's single phase no matter what you do to
it. Thus, the proper term is split phase.

But, ignoring the source, since I have two wires with different
phases of electricity in it in my house, and not caring how it
goes thru the sfmr out on the pole, I got two phase power, damn
it! Now if I want to have 208Vac, maybe I'll have to get more
specific, but until then, it's 2 phase split power when you're in
MY house!

Pop