Ba r r y

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:51:58 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Ba r r y wrote:
FWIW, once you use a good shoulder plane, you'll be amazed at how much
time can be saved cutting tenons a scootch oversize and custom
trimming them during the dry fit. A swipe or two, and a perfect fit
is yours!

You have any particular recommendations? I've been watching for a while
but haven't leapt as I'm not sure what is/isn't value and/or desirable
models...

I have the medium, bullnose, and large Veritas versions, and I love
them. The medium would be an excellent first shoulder plane. I've
also used Clifton 410 and 420 shoulder planes, they're excellent, but
I do not think they are worth the price difference over Veritas. The
LN versions were everything one would expect them to be when I tried
them. However, they don't make a medium shoulder plane.

I think a good, medium shoulder plane is a great second plane, after a
low angle block, for a shop with power jointing and thicknessing
equipment.

Barry