Gunner

On 30 Dec 2004 08:34:52 -0800, "mac" wrote:

I just became the owner of a 13" LeBlond regal lathe the the number on
the ways is B 9860. The lathe seems to be in good shape, came out of a
trade school, everthing seems to be tight and the gears show little
wear, I do wonder about the 3/4 hp motor though just seems under
powered. Does anyone use one of these and is it a good lathe worth
fixing up and gettting tooling for(only tooling is a 3-jaw chuck). I
don't have much invested in this lathe but just hate to see something
this good go the the scrap metal pile. Any comments would be
appreciated. Thanks Mac

DUMPSTER????? LeBlond REGAL!!!!!!!!!! How dare you put the two terms
in the same paragraph, you fiend!

Seriously good lathe. Way good lathe. Farking excellent lathe. Good
stuff Maynard. Assuming as you indicated that its in good shape, its
a marvelous lathe. Tooling as far as it goes, depending on how good
your scrounging skills are, is easy as most types of tooling that will
fit any 13" lathe, will fit it. There are a lot of 13" Regals around
and things like spindle nose 5C adapters are available, though if you
buy them new, wont be cheap.

The 3/4hp motor will so some serious work, if you dont try for blue
chips, but if you find its underpowered, you may easily enough install
a 1.5 or even a 3hp.

You did well to find this machine and if taken care of, will last the
life span of your grandchildren. Please post some pictures.

I should mention as a further encouragement, that I, with all my toys,
would be proud to have a 13" Regal in my shop. So take it as an
approval on your score G

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill