(ahem...) Getting back to central american civilization and turning...
A friend noticed I was into turning and gave me what he described as a
"chocolate stirer" he said was used by the Mexicans, and the Aztecs
before them to stir their chocolate. A spindle turning, it looks sort
of like a fluted ball on the end of a stick, with some decoration.
About 10" long and 1-1/2" diameter at the ball. The friend said he got
it a Disneyland in 1955, where he watched a Mexican gentleman hand turn
this piece in minutes with nothing more than a block of wood with a
depression in it (tailstock) held between his feet, a stringed bow
(headstock) and some kind of tool which he kept sharp by "grinding" on
the cement he sat on. Wasn't clear what he used for a tool rest, if
any, or how he juggled all the pieces while turning, wish I'd been
there to see it. So a wheel is not required to turn wood.