Nate Perkins

"Mike H." wrote in
:

I'm wanting to purchase my first real hand plane (smooth plane), but I
don't have the $ for a Lie-Neilson (the Cadillac?). Therefore, I was
going to get a Veritas. After reading reviews and shopping online
(and according to the 2005 Tool Guide from Taunton), the Veritas
planes appear to be the best value for the money.

So what's the difference? Please help.
TIA.

Pretty much all of the Veritas planes are really well made. You won't be
sorry with one.

Modern Stanley planes are really not very good. The castings are inferior,
the tolerances in the blade and adjustments are far worse than previous
Stanleys. They can be tuned to work, sure, but then again so can the Anant
planes.

If you go with a Stanley, get a vintage one off of Ebay. Some of the old
ones are very good. I have a Sweetheart Stanley #3 (ca 1920?) with a Hock
blade that is my favorite.

What plane are you thinking of getting? IMHO the most useful is a low
angle block plane, followed by a shoulder plane, a scraper plane, and a #3/
#4 smoother and a #5 jack.

Hope that helps.