Marty

If you would consider other brands I would go with the DeWalt DC987KA. I
just got this off ebay for $205+s&h. Home Depot carries it I believe.
It's easily the best drill I've ever owned. It has a sold steel chuck as
opposed to most which are plastic. The chuck can be tightened and loosened
with one hand. Three speed trans 500-2000rpm, and high capacity batteries.
Also, the torque is one of the highest I believe.

My other drills include PC 19.2, 12v and an older makita (it doesn't count
since its just a right-angle drive).

Scott wrote:

I am in the market for my first cordless drill, to be used around the
house for decking and fencing. For about five years my brother has used
a Makita 6336D (14.4 v.), which is advertised as perhaps being sturdier
with a high performance motor that can last up to five times as long.
(He has had no problems with it.) In shopping on-line I have found
that most retail sites do not offer the 6336D, but do offer what I am
guessing is a newer model, a model 6337 MForce. The description of the
6337 MForce seems to be filled with lots of "new" features or
improvements. The MForce does sell for $30 to $50 less.

Is the MForce filling the "middle ground" between the "more industrial"
6336D and the bottom end drills, or are the MForce drills replacing the
6336D model? Does anyone have experience with the two different model
Makitas? How do they actually compare?

I have narrowed my search for a drill down to the Panasonic and Makita.

Thanks