mac davis

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:15:21 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"Keith Young" wrote in message

Is there a preferred Ca. I am using the $ store stuff. Also I wasn,t aware
that there was an accelerator .
Please elaborate.

Don't know if any are preferred. I've used four or five varieties, and
aside from one with a decided mothballs smell to it, they all seem the same.
Order from the place where you're already paying a shipping charge, unless
someone knows some really hot deals or great stuff. Difference is less than
a buck Cdn ($1.28 US - couldn't resist) from the best to the worst price.
Lee Valley, where my entire tool allowance is spent, carries it, I know.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurrenc y=1

I keep medium weight for actually gluing things together, like caps on
ornaments, and water thin for cracks which are only optically significant,
or for the bottoms of those larger I will be filling with other things like
dust and medium consistency. It's also a great adjunct to your chuck, as
you can run it into the end grain portion of the tenon or recess to help
prevent splits if you get a catch. The accelerant works for both.

Oh yes, get a bottle of the debonder and mount it near the switch to the
lathe where you can get to it on the off chance you use CA a bit carelessly
and find yourself attached to something larger than you. Good insurance, as
it's almost instantaneous in debonding.

The accelerator is a great help on acid woods, too, where it can take a long
time to get a cure. Some claim a weaker bond, but I've not noticed it.

just as long as you don't glue yourself to the lathe switch while
reaching for the "antidote".. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing