JTMcC

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

There is a ton if information available on the topic. Two phase was
common in the old days.
Powerhouses generate 3 phase power, 1 phase goes down your street to a
transformer that's center tapped, giving you 120 and 240v. The two 120
circuits are 180 degree apart but the circuit isn't out of phase with
itself. Real 2 phase is 90 degree out of phase and usually used 4 wires.
Boring stuff, to me.

Then why do you write about it?

Like most adults, I've had to learn at least a bit about several topics that
aren't too exciting to me, but which I have to work with or around. Like
electricity, insurance, the tax code, ect. That doesn't mean I'm not willing
to throw in my 2 bits every now and then.

Yes, the generally accepted term for the power delivered to your house
from a center tapped transformer is split-phase. Yes, what is commonly
called two-phase power is 90 degrees between phases rather than 180, but
my point is that this is semantics to differentiate the two and a split
phase system really has two phases just the same as a "two phase" system.
The phases simply have a different separation angle.

Well, call it what you want, there really is a difference, and it's well
documented by people that understand the issue much better than me. Like I
said, it falls pretty low on my priority list.

JTMcC.

Matt