J. Clarke

Eddie Munster wrote:

Well no kidding, being made of stone and all. How else to move it
around! Maybe they didn't know about paper?

I seem to recall that part of the problem with the Mesoamerican
civilizations and the wheel was that they did not have a large draft animal
of any kind and that soil conditions were such that in the absence of
something with the brute force to pull a cart through the mud a man could
carry more on his back than in a wheeled conveyance.

But that recollection is very vague.

Of course the Spanish had oxen, mules, and horses, so they did not have this
same problem.

On the other hand the Mesoamerican civilizations apparently did not use the
potter's wheel, so perhaps the idea of using the wheel in a tool did not
occur to them.

wrote:

George wrote:

"Denis Marier" wrote in message

Every where we hear that they did not use the wheel.
I wonder if these civilizations have ever use a tool like the lathe

produce crafts.

Apparently the wheel was not known to them, though I believe there

are known

wheeled toys from the Aztec.

It's a bit of a problem for Mormon theology, as the wheel would have

been

well-known to the Israelites. It's also a bit strange that the

"aliens"

never passed along the modest technology of the wheel while teaching

the

Amerinds all the advanced math and astronomy. Perhaps their

"chariots" had

no wheels, in spite of Von Daniken..

I don't know about the \Aztecs, but the Myans did indeed know about a
Wheel. It was a Holy symbol, and therefore, they would not use it for
anything a mundain as a tool. Their calander is round.
The Other Bruce

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)