JTMcC

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
JTMcC wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"Tekkie" wrote in message
l.net...

Lil' Dave posted for all of us....

had to have permanent meter loop installed vice a temporary. This
provides
power to the water well pump (30 amp breaker two phase), and a 120V

GCFI

outlet (20 amp one phase) for the home contractor subs.

There is no two phase power. Single or three phase.

There is such a thing as two phase, but it's pretty uncommon these days.
believe it's still in use a few places back east. It used to be more

common,

in the early days of electrification.

There's a little 2-Phase left around Philly. Richmond, Hunting Park and
Northeast Philly, that I know of. And there might be some left in
Atlantic
City. I have a 2 Phase motor out of an old machine. It's cool.

And I, think, around Niagra Falls.

Yes, and going back to the OP, even thought it isn't common usage, the two
110V legs off a center tapped transformer really do constitute a two-phase
system. If these two legs weren't 180 out of phase, you'd not be able to
get both 110 and 220.

However, having said that, you will get funny looks if you talk about
having two-phase power in your house, even though is essentially what you
have.

Matt

There is a ton if information available on the topic. Two phase was common
in the old days.
Powerhouses generate 3 phase power, 1 phase goes down your street to a
transformer that's center tapped, giving you 120 and 240v. The two 120
circuits are 180 degree apart but the circuit isn't out of phase with
itself. Real 2 phase is 90 degree out of phase and usually used 4 wires.
Boring stuff, to me.

JTMcC.