Doug Kanter

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
news
It's MSG. Rarely advertised, but used to be pitched
aggressively. If you put a bit on your tongue, you'll find
it makes you salivate. It enhances the flavor of food. It's
also blamed for a list of symptoms, most of which I don't
remember because the controversy over the stuff occurred
years ago. Some of its effects were proven, some not. This
is why many Asian restaurants make a point of posting signs
saying "No MSG used here".

violent headaches in susceptable people. it's a hereditary
hypersensitivity. my older brother has it, i don't (but i'm
the only one in the family hypersensitive to artificial
sweeteners).
i think a few people reported heart palpitations, but that's
one of the unproved claims.
lee

The heart palpitations sound right. I once ate an obscene amount of Kentucky
Fried Chicken after not eating all day. At the time (and maybe even now),
the stuff was loaded with MSG. I had heart palpitations that were alarming.
I was young (25) and stupid - did nothing about the situation. Now, I'd call
an ambulance.