frank-in-toronto

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:25:26 -0500, willshak
wrote:

On 12/28/2004 2:07 PM US(ET), Dorot29701 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

When my new washer was hooked up, the faucet sprang a small leak, where the
stem goes in. My husband bought a new faucet for it but now we cannot get the
old one out...it's been in there a long time. We tried heating it with a
blowtorch but it won't move. What do plumbers do? We are afraid to force it -
afraid of breaking the pipe or making it worse. Way it is now, we can turn off
water between washer use - but would really like new faucet. Thanks.

Dorothy

A Faucet? Perhaps you mean a supply valve?
First, you have to shut off the main water valve.
Secondly, you have to drain the pipe to the supply valve. Any water
remaining in the pipe near the valve acts like an insulator,

i hope you understand that it acts as a conductor.
....thehick