Asimov

"User132384" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Dec 04 23:56:28)
--- on the heady topic of " Have I Screwed Up my GE Oven ?"

Us From: issary (User132384)

Us OK, I bought the new bake element. $26.95. Installed it.

Us Tested oven and stove. Thermostat is working properly. Set oven at
Us 350. Put oven thermometer in oven and got a 350 reading.

Us Broil setting works. All 4 coils on stovetop work.

Us Just one problem : The red light under the temp dial stays on, even
Us after the oven has cooled down.

Us The red light does go off, but only in "bake" or "broil", when the
Us dialed temp has been reached. The light clicks on and off as usual
Us during cooking.
Us But after shutting down the oven, and setting the dial to "OFF", the
Us red light comes back on as soon as the oven temp cools down to below
Us the thermostat setting. The temp stays low, the oven does not try to
Us heat up again, but the red light comes on anyway, and stays on forever
Us until I shut off the breaker, or cook something.

Us I guess I can live wth this. Just have to get used to seeing that
Us red light on all the time unless cooking.

Us I removed the back panel and saw several wires that were "rippled"
Us near their connections to their receptacles( the dials on the control
Us panel) , but no obvious "melted wires".

Us If the red light eventually burns out, will it affect anything else ?

Us Thanks

Hi,

The oven indicator light is often connected between the oven and broil
elements. Normally when the oven is first turned on the oven and broil
elements will turn on together for a preset delay so that the oven
comes up to temperature faster. I'm guessing this delay contact of the
oven thermostat is defective and your oven just takes longer to warm
up. One way to get the indicator to turn on and off properly is to
move its connector from the broil element to across the oven element
alone. On some oven thermostats this would be from terminal 4 to
terminal 3. Of course then the indicator will not work at all on the
"broil" setting but if you never use "broil" then who cares. BTW the
indicator light is a heavy duty neon lamp and it won't burn out for
many, many decades.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... :) What does that wire do? =3d8Q (oh!)