On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:32:06 GMT, m II
wrote:

toller wrote:

Hot-neutral bonds?????????????????

Any time turn something on you get a hot-neutral bond, though usually a high
resistance one.
Second hand information from a "professional electrician"... geez, when I
see some of the work done in the past on my house by professional; my 23a
water heater was run with #12 on a 30a breaker, a multiwire circuit was all
on the same leg, etc.

A bond implies no -middle man- sort of load between two conductors.

The gentleman meant to say ground to neutral connections.

The guy doing your wiring should have been fired. A number twelve wire
suitable for house wiring is usually rated for 20 amps. Heating loads
have to use no more than 80 percent of the wire 'ampacity.

So, his number 12 was good for only 16 amps in this situation.

a 30 amp (#10) wire would have barely met the legal requirements (.8 X
30 = 24)

I wonder if the water heater woudl be considered a 'continous load'
like a houses heating, but it does make sense even without the
derating, #12 shouldn't be used on a 30am breaker.

I'm guessing it was a typo.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com