mark

Default M akita or RYOBI

In message , IMM
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Probably not. Generally, Makita spares for the typical consumables
are not that expensive and repair oneself is easy enough. I think
that £20-30 worth of spares for a £150 tool is worthwhile. In
practice, though, with Makita stuff the longevity and robustness is
such that repair is not a big issue anyway.

It is a big issue when used for what it is intended; heavy every day
professional use. When for DIY they should last, but the price then become
unacceptable for light use.

I have had 2 sets of makita 9.6v drill drivers. Under constant (6 days a
week) hard work they have both lasted ten years (strangely the ni-cads
that came with them lasted 7).

Only repair was a slow start switch; 17 quid and easy to fit on the
older drill.

From my own experience, there's no
contest and I think that the Makita products are worth the extra
money. Go and try them out.

If a Makita is slightly more expensive then it is worth going for. If it

is
twice the price for a semi-pro/DIY use, then it is worth assessing other
models.

I have just bought an 18v makita combi and I'm delighted with the
quality of the thing.

All our equipment is makita and I think they're bullet proof. The only
exception is a 20 year old bosch jigsaw (remember them?), an argos
breaker that we bought to see if we could kill it (not yet; but it's
still pretty new) and a I've just been talked into buying a De-walt 650w
(?) sds drill/breaker which is about to get very seriously used on one
particular job. I'll keep you posted. It's makita peer has already
passed the test and still lives

--
mark