Rex B

"larry g" wrote in Be aware that your only
looking for your FIRST lathe. It will be a training
tool and allow you to figure out what you really need to accomplish what
you want. Are you a capable mechanic who can deal with keeping an older
machine tuned up and running. Do you keep you car repaired and going , or
just drop it off at the dealer to be fixed. I don't ask that to be
critical, just be honest with yourself about the abilities you have and
what you are willing to do.

I have discovered that I enjoy rebuilding old lathes as much as I like
making chips.
My 9" logan has been very useful in rebuilding an AA and an Atlas so far.

If I were starting from scratch, and had not run across the Logan at a
bargain price, I think I'd buy a 7X for a first lathe. 95% of what I have
used my Logan for could have been done on a 7x10, they are almost portable,
and parts & accessories are dirt cheap. Besides, there are so many
well-documented mods and fixes on the net that you could entertain yourself
for months just doing those.
--
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive Warehouse