CR

I have done both torsion and extension spring replacements on garage doors.
The last time one broke I called around to get a price on the torsion
springs and if memory serves me they were $55 a piece. I have seen them on
the internet for maybe $45. I was busy and didn't really have time to do it
so I called the guys who do it for a living and the whole job was done for
$135 plus tax. Over priced springs, maybe. Under priced service, maybe but
the company has been in business for 35 yrs. They must do something right.
Yes, they make money on the springs. They buy them by the truck load for
cheap. Having the job done by someone else even if it cost you $50 more
would take a long time to save $1000's.
It really is not that difficult a job but a slight botch may result in
injury.

Hell, I'm not saying don't DIY. But what is your time worth?
CR

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
CR writes:

Really, it's not worth your time. As already stated, you will not save
that much money.

It depends. Doing it on one door, one time is not worth learning unless
you just like to learn things. That's the learning curve, but that has
changed to favor DIY with the innovation of ready information on the
Internet.

If you have a lot of doors, or expect to have them over some multiple of
their spring lifetimes (about 7 years), then you'll save plenty. With a
three-door garage over a lifetime of home-ownership, I expect to save
$1000s.

I can now repair my garage door springs faster than I can shop for a
service call and nurse that task along. And I know it is done right.

And you may just save plenty learning simply knowing how its done. I've
gotten plenty of stories from those who have paid as much as $800 for a
job that should cost $100 or $150.

I had mine done by a reputable local company for $35 more than I
could buy the springs for.

Eh? Either the spring were overpriced, or the service was underpriced,
likely the former.

If you priced uninstalled springs from a door dealer, you got either "we
don't sell springs", or a ridiculously high price. They're not really
in that retail business, and they want you to believe that you can have
a service call and installation for only $35.

The door had never worked as well since I owned the house.

Well, then it didn't work right before the spring broke, and if you knew
how to evaluate and adjust them, you could have had it working well all
along. Another benefit learning this yourself.

You'll also have the skills to replace the entire door, if that should
ever become necessary. That's also going to save me a bundle on my
aging, 25-year-old doors.