William Deans

Greetings,

If your current paint is white (or light coloured) you might consider asking
home depot to add a bit more tent to match it up with your driveway. In
theory, a properly tinted Latex patch should be a better match than sandmix.

Hope this helps,
William

"John Willis" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:49:27 GMT, andy everett
scribbled this interesting note:

William Deans wrote:
Greetings,

Latex admixture for concrete costs many fold what cheap latex paint

costs
($4/gallon). What would happen if I just used latex paint instead?

Yes, I
know it probably won't be as good as the special purpose admixture--

but how
far off are we talking about?

Thank you for your time,
William

I have a bunch of latex paint that I would like to get rid of in a
responsible way. When I have time I think I will mix the old paint with
concrete mix and see if the concrete cures. Give your idea a test, won't
cost much or take too much time.

To make it a good test it will require patience. Mix up some with
conventional water and some with latex paint. Use both in identical
fashions for the exact same amount of time. Report back after several
years of use after examining both samples inside and out for
defects...

Actually, I've kind of already done this, but only with the more
expensive latex admixture. I patched a place on my driveway with
sandmix and admixture to see how it holds up as compared with sandmix
mixed with water (I admit there is an assumption here...I'm assuming
the previous patches, which were done before I arrived at this
property, were done with sandmix and water...a pretty safe assumption,
I think.)

After six years or so the sandmix mixed with the latex admixture is
still solid and holding firm with no chips and no flaking off.

Perhaps now I'll have to do the experiment with some leftover latex
house paint...I've got a bucket or two I'll not use again...I just
wonder how a multicolored driveway will look???

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)