Bob G.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:33:19 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Frank wrote:

...Ripping with the RAS is one of the most intim(id)ating
power tool operations I ever experienced. ...

... but ripping even one sheet of
wood on the RAS scares the bee gees out of me.

I've heard and read this a lot...why?

For years while saving for the PM 66 I used the RAS for everything and,
in fact, before the jointer had it set up to use the shaping head for
that as well. I've ripped a ton of material w/ nary a problem. All
it takes (like a TS) is a long table to support the work, adjusting the
hold down properly and using a push stick for narrow stock. I've never
felt it was any more "scary" than the TS.

Now that I have the TS, jointer, spindle shaper, et al., the RAS is
relegated mostly to cutoff work, but I would still miss it if it were
gone entirely.

====================================
Well I still have ...and use... my 30+ year old Craftsman RAS ...but I
will also admit that the darn thing has not moved off a 90 degree cut
in the last 20 years...but I do have a Jig that allows me to cut
perfect 45 degree cuts without moving the arm ...

That said... I am really not one to be intimidated...but I do have
plenty of reservations about ripping on "MY" RAS... just not as
comfortable as using a table saw...

As for the OP... I too suggest he keep the RAS (hell I wish I had a
lot more "stuff" that belonged to my dad...) I have plenty BUT now
that he is dead everything I see in my shop that once belonged to him
just makes my day a little more enjoyable...nothing like taking a few
seconds to remember him... ..................... ok I just took
those seconds...

I suggest that the OP pay himself ...every single week... if he makes
2 bucks an hour..then toss 2 bucks under the mattress each week...if
he makes 50 bucks an hour then toss 50 bucks under that mattress...
when the mattress gets lumpy...go buy a GOOD Table saw...

Bob Griffiths