jo4hn

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Frank wrote:

...Ripping with the RAS is one of the most intim(id)ating
power tool operations I ever experienced. ...

... but ripping even one sheet of

wood on the RAS scares the bee gees out of me.

I've heard and read this a lot...why?

For years while saving for the PM 66 I used the RAS for everything and,
in fact, before the jointer had it set up to use the shaping head for
that as well. I've ripped a ton of material w/ nary a problem. All
it takes (like a TS) is a long table to support the work, adjusting the
hold down properly and using a push stick for narrow stock. I've never
felt it was any more "scary" than the TS.

Now that I have the TS, jointer, spindle shaper, et al., the RAS is
relegated mostly to cutoff work, but I would still miss it if it were
gone entirely.

Amen. No more dangerous than the TS if you use the holddowns, pawls,
featherboards, etc. Keep your fingers away from spinning things (old
Swedish saying).
mahalo,
jo4hn