Abrasha

Default B&S Collets from Hardinge

You guys, may remember, that a few weeks ago, I was looking for a good source
for B&S collets for my new dividing head.

Well, on 11-11-2004, I placed an order with Hardinge for two #7 Brown and Sharpe
collets, one for 3/8” and one for ½”.

When I placed the order, I mentioned to the lady taking the order, that the
collets were for a Taiwanese made, Vertex semi universal dividing head, size
number 0, and that the diameter of the spindle hole was 18mm. The lady told me,
that I did not need to worry about the fit, because all B&S collets were made to
the same standards. Although this did not seem right, I reasoned, that since I
was ordering from Hardinge, I probably did not have to worry about it, so I
placed the order.

After a long delay, after 6 weeks, (the collets did not ship when promised),
they finally arrived on December 24.

To make a long story short, the collets do not fit my tool. It’s not even
close. I cannot fully insert the collets into the tool, they are stopped by the
back end (the threaded part) of the collets. And even if I would be able to get
them into the tool further, I would never be able to get them into the tool far
enough for proper workholding, because the diameter at the mouth of the collets
is too large also.

I have spent close to $100,00 (I never received an invoice either) from what I
thought was the best possible source for collets in the USA, and after waiting 6
weeks (23 days were promised) I have a couple of collets, that do not fit my
dividing head.

So now, it's dealing with the "customer service" department at Hardinge.

And people wonder why we are going to China, to have machine tools and
everything else produced. I wonder how much longer before Hardinge folds too.
They deserve to, if they can't even get a simple little order like this straight.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com