George

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
I use the single buff system on a grinder turning at 3750, appreciate that
that is too fast and I plan on buying a voltage reducer gadget to turn the
speed down. Meanwhile (usually means quite a while as I procrastinate) I've
lost more than a few nice bowls as their edge catches and they get thrown to
the far side of the garage. Usually hold the bowls in a death grip but
occasionally, as happened yesterday with a beautiful piece of oak which is
now firewood, one gets away.

Question has anyone fashioned any kind of catcher for the Bell system. I've
been thinking of trying to rig up a blanket or something that might save the
bowls if they get away on me. (Arthritis in my fingers is what I'll blame
all this on). Would appreciate any other guidance on this issue.

First - get the speed down. The energy available varies by the _square_ of
the velocity, so reducing to a 1725 motor will give only 1/4 the grab.
Using smaller buffs than those giant Beall's also helps.

Second - the voltage reducer will only burn out your motor if it's an
induction type. Forget it and scrounge an old dryer motor or such.

Third - follow that different drummer, mounting the piece on your lathe and
buffing with a hand-held system. I don't need to go to the lathe, because
my 1" 8tpi chuck mounts easily on my buffing stand, made from a bolt, but
you might consider it.