William Deans

Greetings,

I don't think it is unreasonable to investigate latex paint.

According to:
http://www.cdnpaint.org/enviro11land...texpaint_e.htm

"
Uses for latex paint are also being investigated, including applications in
finished concrete products for reinforcing properties.
"

According to:
http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=4220803

"
Ordinary latex paints typically contain about 25 percent to 30 percent
solids by volume and 70 percent to 75 percent water, while top-quality latex
paints generally have 35 percent to 45 percent solids and only 55 percent to
65 percent water.
"

"
Low PVC paints (10 percent to 22 percent) have a low ratio of pigment to
binder and are generally associated with a glossy paint. Conversely, higher
PVC paints (45 percent to 75 percent) are loaded with pigment compared to
binder which results in a flat finish. Paints with a satin finish have a PVC
in the 28 percent to 38 percent range. (See Figure 5.)
"

I think this means a cheap gloss paint is over 20% latex. As far as I know
latex is the only active ingredient in latex admixtures. This means that if
latex admixtures contain 40% latex using cheap paint is about the same as
using one part admixture and one part water.

These are just my thoughts. I could be missing important facts like "not
all latex is the same" or "latex paint contains some other chemical that
destroys concrete" etc, etc. I am looking for additional input before I
actually switch from admixture to latex paint.

Hope this helps,
William

"DanG" wrote in message
Acryl 60 and the other latex modifiers with which I am familiar
smell more like Elmer's glue than paint. At he cost of equivalent
volumes of glue, I do not see a reason to not use the correct
stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1104079996.e9b225753d87406f8b841fda8e34f8ca@t eranews...
Greetings,

Latex admixture for concrete costs many fold what cheap latex
paint costs
($4/gallon). What would happen if I just used latex paint
instead? Yes, I
know it probably won't be as good as the special purpose
admixture-- but how
far off are we talking about?

Thank you for your time,
William