Woooow... that's a lotta stuff a lathe can do!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:52:51 GMT, wrote:

I was reading another thread mentioning lathes... and which one to buy.

I'm
so new to metalworking (I'm just beginning welding hehe) that I had to go
look up what a lathe even was. I see that it's for

shaping/carving/whatever
metals to make a desired shape... but can anybody provide an example or 2

of
what a lathe is used for? Thanks! Curiousity got the best of me . Happy
Holidays!

-Mike

Blink blink...ooookkkay...

http://bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html
http://www.pioneer.net/~felice/taig.html

Just a couple examples.

As you say..lathes make round things round (usually) and of the size
and shape you want.

Need some jets for a carburetor? Lathe.
Need to make bushings? Lathe
Need to make nuts and bolts? Lathe

Im building a new welding cart for my Mig welder, for rough terrain.
So far..the axles have been turned to diameter and threaded on the
ends for nylocks...Lathe
The steering gear spindle, lathe
king arms, lathe
Bottle holder clamp, lathe

Yesterday:
New mig tip for my wire feeder. Lathe (ID bore, turn and thread out of
copper)
spare Defuser for the torch tip, lathe, (brass)

Tommorow.
Brass electrical buss bar for friends sandrail, Lathe
Standoffs for aftermarket electrical radiator fan for friends 'stang,
lathe

Lots of stuff.
http:/home.lightspeed.net/~gunner/myshop

some commercial examples of small stuff on lathes
http://www.omni-turn.com/Pages/Examp...niSamples.html

( I service, install and set up the machines that cut these parts)

Gunner

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best
wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible,
low-stress, nonaddictive, gender-neutral celebration of the
winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable
traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the
secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious
or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their
choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

May you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and
medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the
generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due
respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose
contributions to society have helped make the world great, and
without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability,
religious faith, political belief, choice of computer platform,
or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are accepting these terms. This
greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely
transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It
implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of
the wishes for herself or himself or others, is void where
prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of
the wisher. This wish is under warranty to perform as expected
within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one
year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting,
whichever comes first, and the warranty is limited to
replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole
discretion of the wisher.