Default Lathe question

I was reading another thread mentioning lathes... and which one to buy. I'm
so new to metalworking (I'm just beginning welding hehe) that I had to go
look up what a lathe even was. I see that it's for shaping/carving/whatever
metals to make a desired shape... but can anybody provide an example or 2 of
what a lathe is used for? Thanks! Curiousity got the best of me . Happy
Holidays!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Gunner

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:52:51 GMT, wrote:

I was reading another thread mentioning lathes... and which one to buy. I'm
so new to metalworking (I'm just beginning welding hehe) that I had to go
look up what a lathe even was. I see that it's for shaping/carving/whatever
metals to make a desired shape... but can anybody provide an example or 2 of
what a lathe is used for? Thanks! Curiousity got the best of me . Happy
Holidays!

-Mike

Blink blink...ooookkkay...

http://bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html
http://www.pioneer.net/~felice/taig.html

Just a couple examples.

As you say..lathes make round things round (usually) and of the size
and shape you want.

Need some jets for a carburetor? Lathe.
Need to make bushings? Lathe
Need to make nuts and bolts? Lathe

Im building a new welding cart for my Mig welder, for rough terrain.
So far..the axles have been turned to diameter and threaded on the
ends for nylocks...Lathe
The steering gear spindle, lathe
king arms, lathe
Bottle holder clamp, lathe

Yesterday:
New mig tip for my wire feeder. Lathe (ID bore, turn and thread out of
copper)
spare Defuser for the torch tip, lathe, (brass)

Tommorow.
Brass electrical buss bar for friends sandrail, Lathe
Standoffs for aftermarket electrical radiator fan for friends 'stang,
lathe

Lots of stuff.
http:/home.lightspeed.net/~gunner/myshop

some commercial examples of small stuff on lathes
http://www.omni-turn.com/Pages/Examp...niSamples.html

( I service, install and set up the machines that cut these parts)

Gunner

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best
wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible,
low-stress, nonaddictive, gender-neutral celebration of the
winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable
traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the
secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious
or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their
choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

May you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and
medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the
generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due
respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose
contributions to society have helped make the world great, and
without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability,
religious faith, political belief, choice of computer platform,
or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are accepting these terms. This
greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely
transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It
implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of
the wishes for herself or himself or others, is void where
prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of
the wisher. This wish is under warranty to perform as expected
within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one
year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting,
whichever comes first, and the warranty is limited to
replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole
discretion of the wisher.
Anthony

wrote in
news
I was reading another thread mentioning lathes... and which one to
buy. I'm so new to metalworking (I'm just beginning welding hehe) that
I had to go look up what a lathe even was. I see that it's for
shaping/carving/whatever metals to make a desired shape... but can
anybody provide an example or 2 of what a lathe is used for? Thanks!
Curiousity got the best of me . Happy Holidays!

About anything round that has a shape to it.
A bolt or screw.
Your car wheels.
Your FRPP 3.73 gears.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake
FRPP 3.73 gears
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo)
Hi-speed fan switch
255/60R-15 rear tires
Subframe connectors
Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Now all you need is to jerk out that puny motor, and put in a real one

How about an old 406FE.
63-1/2 Galaxy 500
406 FE
Factory 3-2bbl
Balanced, blueprinted
Forged pistons
Crower dual-pattern Cam, Crower dual springs
Harland Sharp roller rockers
Mild port clean up
Top-Loader 4-speed
31 spline 9-inch with 4:11 gears - limited slip with hi-rate springs
Dyno Results: 565 hp @ 5820, 710 lb-ft of torque @ 3790
Car weight: ~2 tons + (It is made of real STEEL)
Drag strip results: Best of 7.99 ET-1/8 mile on P265/60-R15 Eagle ST
street tires (never tried slicks..hard enough to keep axles in it as it
was).
Number of 9-inch 31-spline axles wrung in two: 4 (short side all 4 times
in 2nd gear, at ~3800 RPM)
Current state of vehicle:
Mostly disassembled for restoration/modification (slight tubbing -
shorter/larger axles to deal with the breakage problem), and it will go
on a serious diet. Should be able to remove up to 1500 lbs via fiberglass
replacement panels, etc (the bumpers alone weight well over 100 lbs
each).
Gotta get the garage finished first tho :/

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Don Foreman

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:52:51 GMT, wrote:

I was reading another thread mentioning lathes... and which one to buy. I'm
so new to metalworking (I'm just beginning welding hehe) that I had to go
look up what a lathe even was. I see that it's for shaping/carving/whatever
metals to make a desired shape... but can anybody provide an example or 2 of
what a lathe is used for? Thanks! Curiousity got the best of me . Happy
Holidays!

See
http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/meterscrew/
for an example
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:23:57 -0600, Jack wrote:

Mostly used to make round parts but can be used to make blocks or adding
keyways to the I.D. of a hole.

An old school test for the lathe operator.... make a block from round stock?
Jack

One of my favorite projects on my SB9 was a block of cast iron with 14
flat surfaces.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada