Art

I would add that I almost lost my head doing it myself. No joking.

"Ignoramus23411" wrote in message
Thanks, all good points.

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:08:49 -0600, G Morgan
wrote:
On 25 Dec 2004 23:53:02 GMT "Ignoramus11573"
used 43 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

If I decide to do it myself, I will ask for more help but

You're only going to save about $40-$70 by doing it yourself. It will
take you
all day since this is your first attempt.

1 You'll need to lower the door with only one spring ( a bitch) and
safely
unwind it (a bitch if you have never done it)

2 Remove the whole torsion bar.

3 Get the old springs off (a bitch if the bar is rusty or deformed)

4 Find the correct springs for a replacement (a bitch if you don't know
WHERE
to buy or WHAT to buy)

5 install new springs on torsion bar (yes, replace them both)

6 Wind ONE spring (two springs are harder) you wind one first, then set
the
cables

7 Wind the other spring

8 Test the door, then add or subtract winds if tension is wrong

Besides this being a semi-dangerous job, you'll likely not have the
proper tools
(winding bars, cordless impact etc...) Add that to you self admitted
lack of
hand-eye coordination and health not up to 100% and your looking at some
major
headache and frustration. Trust me, hire out the job.