fred

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
fred writes:

I run mine pretty low too, but I've modified it to run full whack for hot water
demand, let me know if you want the circuit (after christmas :-). Mind you,

Interesting. I've built a replacement for the front panel indicator
board, which allows me to remote monitor it and remote control the
temperature setting. I've had it in the boiler for initial testing
only, but at the moment it's sitting in a breadboarded moch-up on
the workbench whilst I write the controlling software.

I'd forgotten you'd mentioned something about this in the past, controlling
from a PC IIRC. Didn't fancy a PC doing the work so my plan is to do the
control with dedicated hardware (an FPGA) as that is my area of expertise.
Needless to say the system is running on a basic room stat & TRVs setup
until I get a chance to set up the hardware for a multizone job ;-)

My Keston only does the central heating -- hot water is handled by
a separate multi-point water heater. Without the type of additional
temperature control we both seem to have developed, it didn't seem
particularly suited to a combined heating/hot water system whilst
also optimising the condensing mode of operation for heating.

it also runs full whack for 10mins or so at startup, but maybe that's not
long enough to kill off the slime.

The full whack at the beginning is just to get the water up to the
set temperature -- I don't think it will result in the slime at the
bottom of the heat exchanger getting any hotter than during normal
running.

Yes I see your point, mine runs for about 20mins at a time on hot water
but no help for you there.

Re the trap filling, maybe that's a good reason to have a flexible hose on
the condensate drain so you could raise it above the level of the trap & fill
from a funnel. That might also be a way to reverse flush the combustion
chamber in a colonic irrigation kinda way - sorry, don't know where that
little bit of imagery came from, maybe that feeling following too much
turkey dinner.
--
fred