CR

Really, it's not worth your time. As already stated, you will not save that
much money. I had mine done by a reputable local company for $35 more than I
could buy the springs for. When he was done he lubricated the door and spent
almost as much time adjusting the door and the opener as it took him to
install the springs. The door had never worked as well since I owned the
house. Money well spent.

DIY is good, but sometimes it is a fools folly. I just built a 500sqft
addition on my home. I went out and priced the insulation and was not
looking forward to that part of the job. So much so that I thought that I
would check with insulation contractors to see if the extra money would be
worth me not having to itch for a week afterwards. After calling around I
got the entire thing done for $100 LESS than I could have done it for.
Sometime it's smart to have someone else do the job if that's what they do
for a living.
I like being frugal (read cheap), but not stupid.

CR

"Ignoramus11573" wrote in message
2 car garage. Very heavy door, supported by two torsion springs. One
spring broke today. I could barely lift the garage door, right now it
is fixed in the up position with a C clamp on the rail.

I am relatively handy when it comes to say making fuel tanks, fixing
boats or repairing diesel generators etc, meaning that I can figure
out problems and address them, often with the help of these
newsgroups.

My weakness is lack of hand-eye coordination. So I am afraid that I
could somehow improperly insert some tool into the spring while
winding, and break my arm or teeth.

So, if possible I would like to do this repair myself, this
Sunday. The weather is turning for snow and both keeping the garage
open with cars inside, and closed with cars outside, are bad
solutions.

So...

0. How much could it cost to hire a pro to replace one spring,
vs. DIY.

1. Are all garage springs the same? If not, how can I find out what
kind I need?

2. Are there some modern thingamagiggys for winding springs that are
safe?

3. How unsafe is the process of winding springs

4. Is it a wise idea to replace both springs at the same time?

5. Are these different quality springs, is it the kind of business
where you get what you pay for?

I need some input for making a decision. (pro vs. DIY and 1 vs 2
springs) If I decide to do it myself, I will ask for more help but
will consult google first.

Thanks!