Bugs

Snyper1982 wrote:
Ok, I am sure you guys get asked these questions a lot, so i

apologize
in advance. I am totaly and completely new to metal working. I am
mostly curious about making little parts with a lathe. I just dont

know
what a good lathe is, and what some good reading material is on using

lathe.

What are some good brands of lathe? are Jets good, cause i was

looking
around a bit and i saw a jet that was about $1,000 brand new. Well
thanks for reading, hope to get some good answers from you guys, as

id
like to get into metal working.

If you have the room, look at buying a larger, older lathe for a
fraction of the cost. It will make little parts fine, and also bigger
parts, which you will inevitably get into as you gain experience.
The imported lathes are getting better in quality but still don't
measure up to older American or European machines.
With all the conversion to electronic control, there are mountains of
fine old iron out there to be had for a song.
Keep in mind that the accessories; chucks, toolholders, faceplates,
bits, etc. can cost more than the lathe itself. Look for one that is
well equipped and save kilobucks.
Good luck and enjoy.
Bugs