George

"Silvan" wrote in message
George wrote:

Cut, butt, back fully. Planes have happily lived in fully enclosed
toolchests for literally centuries.

It's an unheated space. Everything rusts like crazy certain times of year
unless I keep the air flowing.

What concerns me is that you've got something more suited at 3" to mount
on
a wall rather than stand up. My under wing shelf (8") gets bumped once
in a while, which makes me glad that it holds only unbreakable.

That didn't come through very well in my rant. The uprights are 3" but

the
shelves are, well, bigger. I'm not sure how bigger. Call it 18" x 30"
with a total of four uprights.

OK, so it is standing stable. Use cleats if it's not going to be shown as
an example of your woodworking prowess.

Still more dubious about the planes. They'll develop rust where they're
supported, so use something like that green plastic fencing material that
looks like expanded metal to set them on, or get them into a closed box with
camphor. Whatever you do, don't set them on bare wood, which actively grabs
water on its own.