gerry

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:44:13 -0600, Jim wrote:

I would like to know what is involved in install a vent free fireplace
from home depot or lowes in my basement.

thanks

jim

Depends upon your location and what you mean by "vent free"

48 (49?) states now allow un vented gas heaters in some situations if they
are equipped with an oxygen depletion sensor). These have been in use in
Europe for over 40 years and have a very good safety record.

The sensor is a specially designed pilot/thermocouple assembly very
sensitive to oxygen supply. They also are made of ceramic such than any
attempt to modify them will destroy them.

In most states, they can not be used as primary heat and they have an
altitude limitation. Above 5000' or so, oxygen is depleted!

MA just adopted the accepted code this year allowing the, but added
restrictions.

In MA, they can't be used in bedrooms, most states restrict bedrooms to
10,000 BTU max. Also, MA requires a CO detector to be installed AND
maintained in each room with an un vented heater.

So air quality pretty much comes down to the quality of the fuel. CO has
been well addressed.

Contrary to some posts, the new code does NOT require an open window. That
was for pre ODS units.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com