Andy Hall

Default M akita or RYOBI

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:32:07 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:20:06 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

I have had appalling experiences with Bosch tools, to the point that I

don't
buy expensive rip-off tools anymore.

The problem there is Bosch are overpriced DIY tools so don't fall into
the pro category other than on price.

I, like most people on this ng, don't
use power tools constantly on a day to day basis, so buying these sort of
super expensive tools is madness.

I didn't notice anyone saying DIY'ers should be spending hundreds of
pounds on power tools, merely that DIY tools are for light duty use,
professional, branded makes are more for the pro market.

Many were defending high priced tools, while totally dismissing anything
else as rubbish, and were more than implying DIYers should buy them.

I don't think that anybody said that either. It depends on one's
point of view as to what is important.

If somebody feels that paying more for a higher quality tool is
justified for them, what they want to do and how often they want to do
it then these are their purchase criteria.

It's equally valid for somebody to take the position that the purchase
cost is the most important factor and that they will accept the
limitations of a cheaper tool.

It isn't reasonable to suggest that because something is "only for
DIY" and therefore won't be used a lot that it isn't justified to buy
a good quality product; in fact it's somewhat demeaning to somebody
wanting to DIY to a high standard and needing the tools to do it.

I've certainly never suggested that people should go out and buy
expensive tools just for the sake of it, or that one can't produce
reasonable results with a cheap tool. It's a matter of degree.

However, when you set all of this in the context of using personal
time as an alternative to using professionals, the cost of the
personal time comes into the equation as well as the result. When all
of those factors are considered, things that can be done to maximise
the use of DIY time and produce a good and satisfying result become
important. If buying a good quality tool helps to produce a good
result in a good timescale and results in less user fatigue and wasted
time, then it is worth considering, in my view..

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl