JerseyMike

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:44:13 -0600, Jim wrote:

I would like to know what is involved in install a vent free fireplace
from home depot or lowes in my basement.

thanks

jim

Jim, BEFORE you purchase a vent free unit, Take a look at the first
page of instructions that comes with the unit. In short it tells you
to open the window when you are using it! Many Many warnings and
cautions in there. They may burn "clean" (I would debate that) but why
would you burn a gas appliance and let the combustion products go into
your home? Do yourself a favor and get a VENTED unit. I wouldnt have
anything "ventless" in my home. A gas stove with and exhaust hood is
bad enough.
Bubba

we've never had a problem w/ ours and it's 99 or 99.9% efficient. we

keep a
carbon monoxide dector in a central spot and it's never activated in the

3
or 4 years the fireplace has been in use. but to each their own, i

feel
completely safe and would never have bought it if there was a safety

issue
especially since my kids play downstairs all the time.

mike...........

This is Turtle.

You maybe talking about a different animal here. You probley have a

Ventless
Panel Ray heater and they are talking about Just a Ventless gas heater

with a
blue flame no panel ray type heater. I would not want any ventless gas

heater in
my house that has a blue flame in it. The only one I would accept is a

Flameless
Pannel Ray heater with NO flame at all but a 5,000ºF to 8,000ºF glowing

ceramic
pannel to glow and put off heat rays. It is 99.992% fuel effencent heater

and
has no flame and no CO for it burns so hot that no carbon can be left at

the
5,000ºF to 8,000ºF ceramic grid that the gas burns in. It burns at 3 time

cutting torch temperature burns at. The Temp can be more that 8,000ºF for

it
burn at a color of white and not blue, red or other colors of heat. When a

flame
burns at white it leave NO carbon when it burns. So you can't have CO

because it
burns all the Carbon up in the ceramic fire grid and with all the carbon

gone
the O will attach it'self to the nearest H and form water vapor in the

air. Now
there will be very little of this left of the O for the grid is so hot it

burns
the O up also.

You just don't vent something that gives off NO CO at all. The all the

warning
is to keep it safe to watch out for. Now the leaving the window open is

to keep
it from cutting off during the nite when the Oxygen level drops below

normal in
the room. With the Oxygen level shut down set up you just can't burn up

all the
oxygen in the room with it or it will just turn off. I have checked out

the
Oxygen sencer on them and it is just about fail safe for it's design.

I would have to say Panel Ray Ceramic type Flameless heaters are good in a

no
vent room. Now anyother type would not be acceptiable at all. A blue flame

will
burn with a maybe high as as a 400 ppm CO content but the Panel Ray heater

burns
with a ZERO ppm out put of CO. Now the .002% fuel eff. rating or waisted

fuel is
there for the blue flame of the pilot lite that burns blue and not white

hot.

TURTLE

we have a Temco freestanding 99.9% efficient natural gas burning fireplace,
w/ a oxygen depletation sensor built in. it works great it has never caused
a single headache or made anyone feel sick in any way. it burns clean and
there is nothing i would say has ever cause us to feel unsafe. it makes a
natural looking fire from the burners.

all ican say is for this guy to do his homework and decide for himself, but
there are plenty of excellent products on the market, but maybe Homedepot or
Lowes wouldn't be the place to make a final decision.