Michael Mcneil

"jedclampet" wrote in message
ups.com

wrote:
if it's that big I suggest you try reaching in through it and seeing
if you can reach the lock. One way people get into houses with ease
is by reaching in through large letter boxes...

Thieves just put their hands in and pass a stick through. (Unless they
have small hands they can't hold a stick and put an hand in the door.)

Once they have hold of the stick they can force the yale handle up and
that is it -open. More experienced thieves just lean heavily on the
latch and bend the brass thingumie. The bit that sticks out looks solid
but you just take one apart and see how feeble they are.

I didn't really want to put a box in as the door forms part of the wall
in my flat's narrow hallway. I was really after one of those brush
type draught excluders and then I was going to put a flap over that.

Make a frame to reduce it with a piece of 1/2" ply. Make sure there is
no step at the bottom so that letters and bumff will be easy to post.

Put a piece of 2 x 1 on edge somewhere in the line of sight betwen the
letter box and the lock to thwart thieves.