Dave Hinz

On 23 Dec 2004 13:40:49 -0800, AJ Quick wrote:

(Someone else wrote, but AJ deleted attributions for,)

"Just one quick comment on that. The higher the precision, the quicker
it will jam. The military learned that 50 years ago with weapons."

I think that has to do more with the tolerances. I know there were
quite a bit of guns and weapons that weren't made with the same
precision each time, so none of the parts were ever interchangable..
and the guns jammed and blew up in their hands.. so I don't know if
that really holds true..

Um, no. Google for "Luger". It's a beautifully made German pistol,
very tight tolerances, stunningly good machining, excellent fit and
finish and quality. Also worthless with a speck of sand or dirt in
the works. Compare this to an AK-47, which can be dunked in mud-water
be brought up, and function just fine. Tight tolerance, fit and finish,
don't help in some situations and in fact make matters worse, which
was I think the point of whoever's post you're answering.

I was under the impression that this group dealt with high percision
and CNC type metal working. I guess I will have to try
rec.crafts.watchmaking instead.

Perhaps while you're looking different places you could read this article:
It might help you understand why your messages are being responded to in
the way they are.

We have $7000 in parts.. motors, gearboxes, batteries, controllers. No
materials yet to actually make the chassis or weapon. Hence my presence
here.

Yeah, you definately would benefit from reading and learning from that
article. Seriously, it will improve what you get out of a group like this.

Dave "Horse to water...let's see what happens next..." Hinz