J. Clarke

TBone wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:55:38 -0800, "ted harris"

Questions.

What happens when you have turned off the power to the saw motor?

Since I had an injury about 15 years ago with the saw turned off I

e-mailed
SawStop and adked that that question.
It still continuues to work with no power. IMHO, a simple capicator
could store enough energy to power the device.

What exactly do you want it to do for you? If the saw blade is already
not
moving, how can it help you? If it drops the blade into the table, the
dropping blade can still cut you on the way down and now you get the added
insult of spending $50 to replace the charge for no real help at all.

The questions are (a) does it trip and cost you 50 bucks and a new blade if
you touch the blade while the blade is not turning and (b) does it fail to
trip and let you get cut if the power is turned off but the blade has not
stopped spinning.

What happens if the blade is not moving, and you touch it?

This could also be easily handled by a motion detector or something like

the
centripical device that engauges or disingauges the start capacitors in
induction motors.

Again, what would be the point? Now you would be creating a substantial
increase in the cost of the machine with no real benefit at all. No
safety device in the world can protect someone from their own laziness or
stupidity and it really is up to the woodworker to understand what they
are working with and to pay attention and be careful, even when the
machine is not running.

While it is inconcievable to me that anyone would try to market such a thing
without making provisions for the two conditions mentioned above, I have
see manufactureres do enough really stupid things to agree that these are
legitimate questions.

I distinctly recall a post in which someone did describe what happens in
those situations based on his personal experience either with a delivered
saw or a prototype, but now I can't find the post. Something about there
being a green light that is on whenever it is armed, which included a
certain period of time after power-off, and when the light goes out then
you can touch the blade without triggering. Trouble is I may very well
have dreamed it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)