Leon

"TBone" wrote in message
m...

What exactly do you want it to do for you? If the saw blade is already
not
moving, how can it help you? If it drops the blade into the table, the
dropping blade can still cut you on the way down and now you get the added
insult of spending $50 to replace the charge for no real help at all.

HUH? The saw does not have to be turnrd on for the blade to be spinning. I
was injured after turning the saw off and before the blade coasted down to a
stop. In this instance the SawStop would have prevented my injury.

What happens if the blade is not moving, and you touch it?

This could also be easily handled by a motion detector or something like

the
centripical device that engauges or disingauges the start capacitors in
induction motors.

Again, what would be the point?

The point of what? Having a motion detector? If that is what you are
talking about, the motion detector to detect the spinning blade would enable
the system. If no "predetermined" minimum speed is detected by the motion
detector the system would be disabled. This would prevent the system from
tripping when changing blades or turning the blade by hand.

Now you would be creating a substantial
increase in the cost of the machine with no real benefit at all.

I suspect this is already built in for the purpose stated above and a motion
decector or speed sensor would be inexpensive. Almost every automobile has
a speed sensor at the crankshaft to determine timing. Same thing could be
used here. A magnet and a sensor.

No safety
device in the world can protect someone from their own laziness or
stupidity
and it really is up to the woodworker to understand what they are working
with and to pay attention and be careful, even when the machine is not
running.

Exactly but the more safety you have built in, the less likely you or I or
any one else will be injured. And don't even think that you are 100% not
lazy or stupid when operating any equipment 100% of the time. You are
probably human like every one else and are not capable of not making a
mistake.