mike hide

"guest987" wrote in message
news:uWuyd.546239$Pl.492525@pd7tw1no...
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
[...]

Despite your best attempts, eventually there virtually surely will be
a leak and water will find a way in. Only underground-rated cable
should be used in an underground run despite the conduit. Normally
(unless there is an access tunnel in an industrial site, for example)
conduit is used to protect the cable from the above ground junction to
the required depth then the cable is laid in a trench. A protective
barrier is sometimes used over the cable, but not normally full run
buried in conduit. It's not an immediate danger, but eventually it is
virtually certain to get water...

I see. So conduit was never meant to be a substitute for rubber-sheathed
underground-rated cable in the first place. And here people were

conveying
to me that rubber-sheathed underground-cable was something new in that it
didn't require conduit underground! So I chose conduit thinking that was
the 'tried-and-proven' standard method of laying underground cable. I now
see I got it wrong. Well, the cable hasn't been tied in to the power yet
(decided to wait until I can get the cash to hire a licensed electrician

for
the inside-of-house wiring --mainly for insurance reasons). Guess I'll be
pulling out all the romex (as well as the single-strand-wires) from the
conduit and replacing with underground-rated cable then. I have junction
boxes underground too where power gets split to serve two separate
destinations. (The rubber-sealed junction box covers, I had reinforced

with
silicone sealant --but come to think of it, silicone does in time lose

some
of its effectiveness), Guess I'll have to modify the cable layout scheme,
in order to serve all of the separate power destinations, without those
junctions...

So according to the above does that mean that all pvc underground
installations will eventually fail .I.E. water pipes sprinklers etc.......?
mjh