George

Cut, butt, back fully. Planes have happily lived in fully enclosed
toolchests for literally centuries.

What concerns me is that you've got something more suited at 3" to mount on
a wall rather than stand up. My under wing shelf (8") gets bumped once in
a while, which makes me glad that it holds only unbreakable.

"Silvan" wrote in message
I'm knocking out a little set of shelves to go under one wing of my TS and
hold my collection of hand planes close to my workbench.

I had one odd piece of plywood salvaged from a library magazine rack, and

more or less just started cutting on it without a concrete plan. I made
the first crosscut as wide of a piece as I could manage in my little shop;
somewhere in the neighborhood of 30". I cut the next one to the same
length. That left me with a third piece a smidge longer than the first
two. I ripped it into four equal pieces 3" wide. I chose to use narrow
uprights to encourage air circulation, to keep the rust off my planes.