Ed Clarke

In article , Bubba wrote:

have water on the floor from a busted boiler section. I'll take my
chances with the "oxygenated" water you speak of. I can remove the air
easily. The mineral deposits in the bottom of the boiler can be very
expensive to flush. They dont just come flying out when you open the
boiler drain.

There will be little disolved O2 in a properly working hot water system
because it will have been removed as rust in the boiler. When the O2 is
used up, the rusting stops. If you keep adding feed water, you will keep
rusting the boiler. Larger (non home) systems add oxygen scavenger and
sludge reduction chemicals to the system but I've never seen this in a
home situation. The guys at work who do use these chemicals have a lot
of training and it's a high pressure steam system there anyway.

A home boiler should outlast the homeowner unless there is something
very wrong somewhere ( like a leak or someone who keeps draining lots of
water out of the system for some reason ). They're cheap anyway at $1500
to $2500 for reasonable sized houses. I think I paid $3000 including
install. And $100/year for the service contract which includes cleaning.

Are you confusing this with a steam boiler? AND I have no idea what a
air stripper is. Is that like a water washer?

It might be a brand name; it's an automatic vent. On my HW system, the
installers placed one on top of the boiler and another one near the
expansion tank. It's a little chrome plated cylinder with a float inside
that lets air out of the system without human intervention.