Bubba

On 23 Dec 2004 02:02:15 GMT, Ed Clarke wrote:

In article , Bubba wrote:

The more you drain, the more you refill. Unless you are refilling with
clean distilled mineral free water (you arent) you are introducing
added minerals each time. Its a balancing act. You have to add water
once in a great while but the more you add the more minerals you add.
Expansion tanks do NOT need to be drained twice a year. If you have to
you need to find out why. Anytime you drain water at the boiler, you
usually wind up with air in the system at the upper radiators. Then
you have cold radiators.

I'd be more concerned with adding oxygen rich water to the system
than minerals. Hot, oxygen rich water is quite corrosive and will
eat your boiler. Or does the air stripper take care of that because
hot water can hold less disolved oxygen than cold water?

Well, since most water that Ive ever come across is rich in oxygen,
its going to be a little tough to remove it. Have you ever seen what
mineral deposits and calcium deposits do to a hot water boiler? It
causes excessive heating to the cast iron sections because of the
insulating minerals that dont belong there. Next thing you know, you
have water on the floor from a busted boiler section. I'll take my
chances with the "oxygenated" water you speak of. I can remove the air
easily. The mineral deposits in the bottom of the boiler can be very
expensive to flush. They dont just come flying out when you open the
boiler drain.
Are you confusing this with a steam boiler? AND I have no idea what a
air stripper is. Is that like a water washer?
Bubba